For patients who do not look forward to needles, drilling, or numbness, laser dentistry may be the right choice.
Laser dentistry is one of dentistry’s latest advances. The laser delivers energy in the form of light. Depending on the intended result, this energy travels at different wavelengths and is absorbed by a “target.” In dentistry, these targets can be enamel, decay, gum tissue, or whitening enhancers. Each one absorbs a different wavelength of light while reflecting others. At Cahill Dental Care we often use a soft tissue laser to painlessly remove tissues in preparation for restorative procedures, esthetic recontouring of tissues, or removal of soft tissue lesions. For soft tissue (surgical) procedures it eliminates the need for suturing and healing is much faster.
Areas of dental care that benefit from laser technology:
- Cavity diagnosis and removal
- Curing, or hardening, bonding materials
- Whitening teeth
- Periodontal, or gum related, care
- Pediatric procedures
- Apthous Ulcer treatment (canker sore)
- Frenectomy (tongue-tie release) without anesthesia or sutures
- Root canals and apicoectomies
- Crown lengthening, gingivectomy and other gum corrections
Dental lasers have been shown to be safe and effective for treating both children and adults.