At Cahill Dental Care we offer a selection of oral appliances to alleviate symptoms and damage that is a result of nocturnal grinding and clenching habits. We are also trained in fabricating daytime athletic performance appliances. These vary in form, function and fee.
There are two basic nighttime habits:
- Clenching is a forceful squeezing of the teeth resulting in pressures more than 18 times that of chewing force.
- Bruxing is an equally forceful sawing or grinding of the teeth.
A patient may clench and/or grind continuously or occasionally. Symptoms that result from this damaging force include:
- Teeth that feel sore to bite pressure
- Teeth that feel loose
- Teeth that are sensitive to temperature or sweets
- Headaches occurring in the face and temples
- Migraine headaches
- Pain radiating to the jaw joint and ear
- Buzzing or ringing in the ears
During a comprehensive examination, we evaluate our patients for fractured or worn teeth, damaged fillings, shifting teeth and muscle tenderness. Depending upon the frequency and symptoms associated with a patient’s nocturnal habits, a particular style of oral appliance will be recommended.